Woodcraft International Camp
Nearly 4,000 Woodcraft Folk and overseas delegates joined the International Camp in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire over a fortnight period 30th July – 10th August.
CYWU staffed a union information stall and joined in the activities based on ‘sustainability’ with discussions on globalisation and international political issues.
A small delegation from the Western Sahara informed Woodcraft campers about the struggle and life in their refugee camp, other delegations included the progressive youth organisation Mirim Brazil which works with street children and The Rashtra Seva Dal from India, which campaigns against child labour.
I was also pleased to witness two youth organisations from Palestine who spoke of struggles, past and present. Most of the organisations that attended are affiliated to the International Falcon Movement, which has its roots in socialist struggle worldwide.
Good friend of CYWU and author of Fashioning a New World and Comrade or Brother, Mary Davis signed copies of her new book, ‘History of the Woodcraft Folk’ (See review in this Rapport) and Jeremy Corbyn MP joined the campers attended a meeting on ‘Star Wars’ and spoke against this ultimate threat to world sustainability.
Many thanks to Andy Piercy and Stewart Herrieven for inviting CYWU and making us feel very welcome.
- A Better Deal for Youth
- Community Work Matters
- E.P.Thompson Memorial Lecture 2000
- Forty Years of Progress for JNC
- Informal education the sleeping giant wakes
- Pay up - or lose youth and community as public services
- Speech to LGA Conference
- TES Article - The Youth Service
- The Mismeasurement of Education
- The reality of youth alienation and disaffection
- Youth Work and the Youth Service in Britain, an overview of professional formation
- Youth Work`s Importance